Tyre Condition Critical in Wet Weather
posted on 19 May 2008
TyreSafe is advising all motorists to pay attention to their tyres in light of the ‘worst storm of this winter’ which blew its way through the UK last month. The UK tyre safety organisation is calling on motorists to take added care and spend time checking their tyres before driving.
The association is offering a free tyre safety guide available as a free download on their website It suggests that carrying out a simple five minute check, detailed below can ensure tyres are safe before starting a journey.
- Check and adjust as necessary the pressure of each tyre including the spare to the level as stated in the manufacturers handbook
- Clean dirt from around the valves and fit dust caps to all tyres
- Remove foreign objects from the tread
- Check that tyres have at least 1.6mm tread across three quarters of the width of the tyre although it is recommended that motorists consider changing tyres when the tread falls below 3mm
- Check for uneven tyre wear which might mean steering misalignment or out of balance wheels
- Check tyres for cuts and bulges which could render the tyre defective and potentially dangerous
- TyreSafe recommends that any tyres which are replaced are done so in two’s or all four
Checking the condition of your tyres has never been more important ...
Motorists to take added care and spend time checking their tyres...
Ask the Mechanic is on hand to answer all those questions on tyres ...
Motorists warning in recent increase in the number of premature tyre removals ...
A glossary with commonly used terms and keywords on wheels and tyres ...